Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Vacation

Before kids, my husband and I often took little weekend trips together, often with another couple. We would spend the weekend sight-seeing, going out to dinner, staying in cozy little hotel rooms.

I think that must have been about 1,000 years ago.

Or maybe longer.

We have yet to go on any sort of vacation as a family. Quite honestly, I can barely maintain my sanity during an hour-long drive to the "big city" with the children. The thought of a long drive somewhere makes me want to jab sharp things in my ears.

But we have decided it's time. Time to get away. The four of us are going to take a little 2 day, overnight trip together.

Nothing big. About 2.5 hours away. But it will be Cole's dream vacation.

A couple of fun facts about our vacation site:

*There are 30,000 cows
*80,000 milkings occur every day, 24 hours a day
*Each cow produces 10 gallons of milk each day
*An average of 80 calves are born each day

I don't think our kids could love a place more than they will love Fair Oaks Farm.

Yes, I do see the irony in a farm family going to a farm for vacation. But this is like no other farm in the country. Check out this video. It's awesome. I can't wait to go to the "birthing theater." (about 4:00 into the video.) And the milking wheel? (2:10 in the video) So cool!



Pin It!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a local agricultural museum. It's basically a working farm. My kids love visiting.

It's similar to this, but less so - if you know what I mean.

I hope you have a great trip!

Susan said...

Have fun!

Kritta22 said...

I think it's awesome that you are going!
And ironic that you can take a vacation at a farm! :)
Only John Deere Mom!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I hope you have a good time, gosh, it does sound like fun.

Jennifer said...

I'm sure your family will have a blast! Our vacation last year...a trip to John Deere World Headquarters, which is just over an 1 1/2 hours away and Eli loved it! Every time he looks at the pictures he asks when we are going back there...so we are going to do another short trip there the first of August! I'm sure you will get requests to go back there for years to come also!

Anonymous said...

That actually looks fun!! YOU WON my giveaway!! Email me at NE2NYIN3DYS@aol.com your address so I can ship out those two books to you!! Congrats!

missy said...

i do not live an a farm....but wow....looks fun!!!!!!
have fun!!!!!!!

Emily said...

Wow. Jack would go crazy there too! hope you have a great time!

Bren said...

Have a great trip! You might as well go somewhere you enjoy right! Looks like fun!

Teri said...

That looks like so much fun, I am not kidding. I would love to visit a place like that. We are taking the kids (teens) to the Big Apple in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Just say Julie said...

I grew up in a dairy town and it's still one of my favorite memories of school field trips. I can't imagine a weekend there! How fun!!

Finding Normal said...

Based on Noah's interest in the cows today, and the fact that he watched that video for 4.3 seconds before running off to play Cars, I don't think we'll be visiting there soon. But it does look cool. That birthing barn is neat, and I'm glad the manure is put to good use! I'm sure both kids and parents will love it!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

That is so cool they way they recycle the manure. But how on earth do they "vacuum" it up??

Have a great time...when are you going?

Momma@Live. Laugh. Pull your hair out said...

My kids would not want to come home! Awesome!

Spirit Jump said...

maybe you can go on another vacation :)

Stopping by from SITS to say hi and invite you to our Getaway Giveaway, 2 Round Trip Airline Tickets & a Sweet Spot Pink Putter.

Help support our charity & maybe even win a super cool prize!

www.spiritjump.org

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

have fun! i am taking our boys on a road trip tomorrow for 2 1/2 days! i am soo looking forward to our honeymoon in November; without the kids!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Can't take the farm out of the girl, can you?

Have a great family time. We are going to a cottage for two weeks, no computers, no cable. Should be interesting...after I get over the shakes!!

Unknown said...

OMG that's a lot of milk per cow. Hope you are enjoying your vacation.

I have an award over on my blog for you.

Becky said...

Oh how fun!! This will be right up your family's alley!! And 2 days is the perfect amount of time:)

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I hope you all have a great time! :)

Michaela said...

I grew up on a farm with an average of 15 cows... on a farm in Austria.
I would love to go to a place like Fair Oaks Farm!
Great post!