Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Creek

This past weekend, when it was actually cooler than 108 degrees, we had an amazing time at the creek.

The creek is at the farm of my aunt and uncle. Down a long, winding path, past fields of corn and beans, around a pond and through the woods. You eventually make your way to a beautiful oasis. A private hideaway.

This is the view at the top of the steps. Up here is where we sit around the fire, talk, eat, cook, and ride 4-wheelers and Gators.


And drink beer. Lots of beer, apparently.


As you make your way down these steps, you find the creek.


This is where the adventurous slip on their creek-walkin' shoes, grab a walking stick, and head out down the creek.



There's also some rock skipping.


And even some swimming.


And at the end of the day, after we have changed out of wet clothes, there is some soaking of the feet.


Roasting of the marshmallows.


And enjoying the cool evening around the fire.


Ahhhh. Life is good.


Pin It!

19 comments:

scargosun said...

I love a good creek. Nothing better than listening to the water skip over the rocks.

vanilla said...

Cool! Really.

vanilla said...

Cool! Really.

vanilla said...

[How many times did I punch that "publish" button?]

Lea Ray said...

We have a creek "Crick" that goes through our property and I love it. I take the dog down to it on hot days so that she can play in the water while I just relax and enjoy the sound of the water.

John Deere Mom said...

Lea Ray-We say crick too! :)

Susan said...

The creek looks so refreshing. And with this record breaking heat everywhere, a dip in the creek would be so nice.

Unknown said...

Jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous.

Beth in NC said...

Looks wonderful!!! We have a house near the New River and enjoy wading too.

Fred and Wendy said...

Looks like a real oasis!

Anonymous said...

Those creek photos remind me of visits to our grandparents home in Arkansas when we were kiddos. We ALWAYS went to The Creek. It was deep enough in spots to swim. . . and sooooo clear! We had the best times there with our relatives. . . even removing the leaches we picked up in the creek wasn't so bad cuz we'd had such a swell time!! That's true about those leaches....we got 'em on us.

I hear your pain about how you start to feel,physically, when it's time for school to start again. While I enjoyed my job (usually) I HATED going back in the fall. You are right, there are no more 3 months off......it just doesn't seem like that's enough of a break for everyone to "recharge" their engines for the next year. I'll be thinkin' about ya!!!

Dana

Anonymous said...

PS.....LOVE your PW post! :)

Anonymous said...

Super Jealous!!! Looks like a beautiful place to relax with the fam.

Connie said...

We have a creek also. Unfortunately it's only ankle deep so we can't sit or swim in it unless we want minows to swim in places that they aren't supposed to. If I could handle the freekin' little flying vampires we'd spend more time back there this summer. There is just not enough deet I tell you.

Merrie said...

That is fantastic!
My parents have a creek, but it's so surrounded by annoying growth and bugs that we don't spend much time down there. (Swam in it all day as a kid!) I wish we could have place to have a fire, etc. Neat idea!

Merrie said...

Oh, and we all have our "crick shoes."

Mommy Kerin said...

Popping in from another moms blog! Hope you don't mind. I'm going to follow you as well!

It looks simply gorgeous there. To me there is nothing better than a day at a place like that. It may just be me, but the air even always smells sweet.

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

looks SO relaxing!! love me some smores too!!

Teri said...

That looks like it was so much fun. I love all your photos. The kids look like they had a blast. How relaxing!