Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Five

October 22, 2003. 5:33 a.m. That's the exact moment I became a mommy. I was blessed with a 7 pound, 2 ounce bouncing baby boy. Life has never been the same since...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cole was a good baby, despite a few weeks of colic. He had adorable blonde, spikey hair and big blue eyes. He was pretty easy-going and not too demanding. He loved his bouncy seat and his blue blankey....still does. He loved watching Baby Beethoven and eating sweet potatoes.


Cole's first birthday involved 3 different clothing changes. He started the day in a tux looking like a gentleman farmer. He changed into his new John Deere overalls complete with tool belt. Finally, he changed into his birthday suit for the eating of the cake. He has loved tractors since...forever. He crawled for the first time to get to Daddy's special tractor. His first words were dada and tractor. He was even obsessed with toilet paper "bales" at one. Still is...

Cole never went through the terrible twos. He was happy to have tractors and the occasional John Deere movie. His second birthday pictures looked like something out of a Ralph Lauren catalog. So handsome in his sports coat and jeans.
By age 3, Cole's tractor obsession was growing stronger. He had a one year old baby sister who he loved and adored. He has always been so caring and loving toward Claire...until she got old enough to cause trouble. Cole started speech a few months before turning 3 and has been involved in speech in some way since. In May he was put on consultation only for making such great progress in the 2 1/2 years he has been in a speech program.

By age 4, Cole became a little more interested in his birthday party attire. Suits and ties were out of the question. T-shirts and jeans are much more his style now. By 4, he knew more about tractors and equipment than many adults...certainly more than his momma. My sweet boy is now 5. Five years old. It truly seems like yesterday I was holding him against my chest, rocking him to sleep. I can remember every detail of my hospital visit, every moment of his birth. Now he is in preschool. He is doing awesome with learning how to write his letters and spell simple words. He brings home a new project or art piece every day and is so proud to show us what he's done in school. Of course, he is still tractor obsessed. He is getting old enough to go more with daddy to do "real" farming. He comes home with such a smug little hard-working attitude. He is my sensitive one...my crier. He likes to follow the rules and does what he's told. He's cautious and afraid of everything. He is a wonderful, sound sleeper. He loves to play in the dirt. He fights with Claire much more than I ever imagined two kids could fight. She always starts it. Every fight goes like this: Cole has a toy. Claire takes the toy. Cole cries. Claire laughs.

Happy Birthday, my sweet little boy. I love you.

Pin It!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an adorable post. Love all the pics ! Happy Birthday Farm Boy!! Love, Grandma

Finding Normal said...

Now you made ME cry. I love that first picture, but you made me gag a little with your hospital bracelets, our favorite maternity denim, and MASCARA!!!!!!!!!! Seriously. Have you seen my pictures? No. Because they don't exist. Horrendous MOTY would not allow them to be taken b/c I looked so scary.
I love the tux/suit pics. He still looks the same, and I love how you described his personality so eloquently. Happy birthday, Cole! And great job, mama. On the post and the kid. :)

Rhea said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet post! Love all the photos, really great pictures. Happy Birthday to Cole!!

And it figures, Claire starts all the fights. lol

Maternal Mirth said...

Oh, happy, happy Cole!

Have a very special 5, little tractor dude! :)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Happy Birthday, Cole! I didn't know there were John Deere movies.
I love how you began this post. I remember the exact date and time I became a Mommy, too (3/30/93 at 1:16 am)!

April said...

What a sweet tribute to your little boy! I posted a similar tribute on the 11th for my youngest daughter, who turned 12. They grow up so very fast, don't they? Relish in every single second of it!

Hope you have a great weekend! I found you on SITS, by the way. :)

Tracy said...

Hi, I found you through SITS, just wanted to tell ya what a great post on your little boy, awwww he's precious.
My little boy (Wes) will be 17 in Dec., he always loved tractors too as a little boy, I think Tatt tatt (tractor) was his first word also.
Enjoy these tractor years because before you know it that obession will turn to 4 wheel drives and girlfriends ....

Tracy

Caroline said...

Hope you have a happy birthday Farmer Cole!

koopermom said...

Oh I just love this post. Happy Birthday Cole! ~He reminds me a lot of my guy - spiky blonde hair blue eyes, obsessed with tractors... hope he gets some shiny new ones!!!

Brandy said...

Happy birthday to your little guy! His pictures are adorable. I can't decide if the john deere ones are cuter than the tux one though...it's a tough one.

Gaspegirl said...

What a great tribute to your son... Happy Birthday Cole!

Teri said...

I love a man in a tux...and a John Deere hat. Your little man is so handsome. Happy Birthday, Cole!

Lula! said...

Happy Birthday, Cole!!!

Farming Fabulously said...

That is wonderful that Cole enjoy's tractors so much. My newphew is the same way! Go JD.

Happy Birthday Cole...

sassy stephanie said...

Oh my stars. What cute pics. Happy Birthday Cole!

Fifi Flowers said...

VERY cute post... they grow up soooo FAST!
I must ask you... ar you smarter than a 5th grader?

Christy said...

He is SO CUTE!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday John Deere Boy!

I love the pictures and the stories made my eyes leak a little :)

Rebekah said...

What a handome little feller you got there.

I saw your blog title on another blog and had to stop over. My husband is a John Deere fanatic.

He has always wanted to farm and a few years ago started in Tobacco. Now he wants to plant beans. I think he just does this so he can one day own a big green tractor

Lindsay said...

It tickles me how much he's ALWAYS liked John Deere, even as a really little baby. I couldn't believe, either, how much he looked like Claire when he was younger. It's uncanny in some pictures. :)

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

It is amazing how fast they grow. What a handsome young man. He reminds me of Jonathan who loves anything vehicle related, including tractors. I'm sure Cole is a little more in to the tractors than Jonathan considering he lives on a farm, but still...somewhat similar.

Love the photos.