Saturday, July 12, 2008

Let's Make a Deal

That is exactly what we did this week. We found many bargains from Goodwill to Hobby Lobby to garage sales (all 9 of them on Friday!) Here are some of our deals. Let's start with the garage sale finds...

$0.05 necklace!

2 purses for Little Miss...free!


Candle warmer $3.50


Cute wooden mini-drawer cabinet...will look great in the dining room (or kitchen) with a fresh coat of paint $5.00Talking "Backpack" w/accessories $1.50


A John Deere assembly line kit (both tractors break down to several pieces to be rebuilt) $3.00


Great deals, right? Oh, and I also got a big, ugly cabinet for $10.00 that I will show you AFTER I get it painted and new hardware put on. (Don't worry, I will show you a before pic. Later. It's out in the barn right now and quite frankly it's hot and humid and I just did my hair.)

Let's move on to our Goodwill finds.

New welcome mat originally from Target $4.99

Cute tin hanging thingie...she will look great in the living room with a fresh coat of paint $0.99

Not only is there another Goodwill find in this pic, but you are getting a glimpse into the dining room makeover! More on that later. But for now, feast your eyes on that curtain rod. It is a heavy copper 78-144" curtain rod, originally from Target, brand new in the box at Goodwill for $12.49!

Now, I know what you're thinking. "JD Momma, that's an ugly piece of 99 cent crap." I couldn't agree with you more. It is ugly and that's exactly what I told the Boy when he BEGGED me to buy it for him. I mean what would a 4 year old boy do with a metal heart?

This. He did not see a "decorative" metal heart at all. He saw a pig pen. Shortly after I took this pic, he had a roll of toilet paper up against the side of it with a pig snout sticking out. Why? The pig was eating from the round bale.

Moving on.

I love Hobby Lobby...especially their 80% off clearance aisle. It doesn't get much better than that. Well, unless it's 90% off. That would be even better.

This candlestick was $2.80 and the candle (at 50%) was $3.99.


This candlestick was also $2.80 and the candle was $3.99, shockingly enough.

I got 2 of these white candle holders at $4.80 each. Actually one of them was free (to me) because I had my mom go back and buy me the second one! I got 2 of the candles for $3.99 each.


This little guy was $3.60 and will look great on my mantle in the living room.

I couldn't be happier with all of my finds. Now I just need a little paint and I will have some projects to do this week. Now if you will excuse me, I have some decorating to do.


Pin It!

24 comments:

Finding Normal said...

I'm so jealous of all of your finds! I saw those white candlesticks and I KNEW I should've snatched them up! Love the little tin hanging thingie. Love the peak at the dining room! Love the pig pen. So glad you found your candle warmer! I always see the Target stuff at Goodwill, but it's never much cheaper than it would be up the street at Target.
Good shopping!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I am so not good at those treasure hunts. I don't even shop at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. But I cannot wait to see what you are going to do with your finds..

Unknown said...

Great finds!!!

So funny that 'The Boy' saw a red heart and immeadiatly thought of a pig pen. There must be a subliminal meaning in there somewhere.

The Mom Jen said...

Fun finds, my mom is a garage sale gal and comes home with bargains! Sounds like a fun day!

Angela Fehr said...

Great finds! I love the JD assembly line - my hubby is a JD mechanic in northernmost Canadian dealership - and my Grandpa is determined that my 2 year old son turn out to be a farmer - carry on the line and so forth!

I love garage-saling but I haven't gone this year - I've run out of space!

Ashley. Unscripted... said...

Whoa, it looks different over here! I like it!

Tinabean said...

Your finds are great I would be UBER (told you it was in my vocab now) excited about them also.

I'm thinking about asking grandma to watch the boys one day this week so I can go on a kid free shopping day.
I have some returns in need of returning & it's to hard with the little ones they don't like to be hauled around from store to store.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great finds!!! You go girl!!

Rhea said...

Ok, you totally rock at finding garage sale treasures and deals! I'm so impressed!! Those candlesticks are way cool. And I liked the necklace a lot too.

What fun! Very cool.

Lindsay said...

You are the Queen of Deals! You got some really nice things; I'll be interested to see what you do with them.

That cracks me up that your son used that heart as a pigpen. That's some thinking out of the heart-shaped wire box!

Deanna said...

You found some great bargains!! I love the necklace and the little chest of drawers. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

You got a shout-out on my blog via the chicken enchiladas in the crockpot. Thanks for the recipe!

Aunt Julie said...

I'm all about garage sales. My daughter is going to college in the fall and is in the market for a futon. My SIL has her eye pealed, but if you see anything interesting, please let me know! :)

AudreyO said...

We love garage sales. Here in CA we have them almost every Saturday. We buy a lot of books at garage sales. We love to read and we get great deals on books. You got some really nice finds there.

John Deere Mom said...

Karen-HA! This boy could find a farm related use for nearly anything.

Angela-Thanks for stopping by! My hubby sells JD full-time and farms part-time. My son is destined to follow in his footsteps. Thanks for stopping by!

RpH mommy-Thanks! I love changing up the look...

Tina-I completely agree! Shopping with little kids is no fun at all. I take the kids to daycare one day a week in the summer to keep them in the routine and give ma a break to clean and shop. I love those days!

Lindsay-Thinking outside of the heart shaped wire box! Ha!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Wow I am impressed. The thought of going bargain hunting makes me tired, especially with kids.
I can't wait to see the re-do.

Tiffany said...

Don;t even get me started on Hobby Lobby. HL and Heather are the only things I miss about CO! Okay, the pig pen heart basket is cracking me up.

Girl, we could do some serious damage "junking" together.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love garage-sale-ing, thrift store junking, and garage sales! That's where I've outfitted my house and my kids.

Also lovin' Hobby Lobby, especially since there's a new one less than 10 miles down the road from me!

Sounds like you had fun!

Caroline said...

Wow, you racked up. I need to check out the Goodwill, but I have a feeling I won't find stuff as good as that. I also love the newer look. I haven't been by in a while (for shame).

John Deere Mom said...

Caroline-I am waving the shame finger at you. No, not that finger. Just shame, shame on you. ;)

Mama Dawg said...

A woman after my own heart. I love bargains and finding the "diamond in the rough" in gently used items.

Lula! said...

Please take me with you next time you are bargain hunting. Please.

Chris said...

Two things: That pig pen is too cute. I love the way kids think. Secondly, Hobby Lobby is up to 90% off today!! I bought a crap load of stuff, and I'll post about it tomorrow! I actually bought that finial-looking thing in your last picture! Great minds, eh?

Danielle said...

What a smart little man with that pig pen!! That is really cool!

Finding Normal said...

And I'm caught up! YAY! Well, now I have 49 other blogs to read. This is going to take weeks. Seriously. Never.vacationing.again!