Thursday, June 26, 2008

Balls and a lesson learned...

Tonight we took a Gator ride around the farm. We headed down the road and stopped at a neighbor's house (who Farm Guy used to work with) who was standing outside with his little Yorkie dog. This man is probably in his late 60s, early 70s and is missing his right hand. The kids were a little freaked but didn't say much. Little Miss quietly said, "Look, momma. He has a hurt hand." A little while later, Tractor Boy asked what happened to his hand. The man went on to tell him that when he was 4 years old he did something his mommy and daddy had said not to and his hand got cut off. Could this be a more perfect lesson for my 4 year old boy? And it's completely true. When he was 4, he went out to mess with a well his dad had been working on, the wrench came loose, and it cut off his hand. Can you imagine?! Needless to say you could see the wheels turning in my little guy's head. 4 years old? Didn't listen to his mommy? I am so glad he shared his story with us tonight.
The next conversation on the other hand...
The same neighbor, this very nice older man, was telling us that he recently had his hip replaced and that now the other one was going bad. He explained that he had recently fallen off an 8 ft. ladder and landed on his butt on his deck. Then he said, "I broke my balls. They crumbled." Um.........What?
I suddenly became extremely interested in something on the ground as I could NOT keep from laughing. I got so tickled with his broken, crumbly balls (which apparently was something in his hip) that I couldn't look up. I finally had to talk away with the kids to see the dog. If I had made eye contact with my husband, I would have LOST it.
Just awhile ago we were watching, "How It's Made" and it was an episode on ball bearings. I swear if they said balls once, they said it 100 times. I was in tears by the time it was over. I felt like a 14 year old giggling at the mention of the word "balls" but after tonight's conversation, I couldn't help it.
Balls. Hee hee.

Pin It!

11 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I swear, you are the most prolific blogger. So on the ball. Oh, and on your purse give away...I didn't sign up because I liked the sac purse...but I'd really need a pair of them. *snort*

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA.....as usual you make me laugh so hard I need to go pee. Dangit..now I gotta get outta bed and go pee...

Finding Normal said...

Crack me up!

Mamahut said...

That is a classic! I'm sorry I missed the purse giveaway. I need another one to add to my collection, tee hee not.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! This is my first time to your blog, love it! We just got a JD so I was intrigued by the name of your blog and just had to visit.

Rhea said...

Balls...hehe...she said balls.

I live with BOYS. I can't keep my mind OUT of the gutter.

Mama Dawg said...

Crumbly balls? I'm still laughing!

Deanna said...

I still snort and snicker over the word "balls"...no matter how the word is used. On some of the well work I do, we drop biodegradable ball-sealers down the hole in order to temporarily plug off holes in pipe. Well, short hand for these is "balls". "We gotta drop balls" is commonly heard when referring to this process. Wanna know how many times I can't help but crack an itty bitty grin whenever I hear it???

Anonymous said...

BALLS BALLS BALLS....or we could go on and say NUTS NUTS NUTS....living in a house with DH and two pre teen boys, this is the ONLY subject we discuss, or so it seems, LOL

I would have been just like you, and Lord help me if I had had my boys with me, LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow. How bizarre. He's lucky he survived! I wrote a post for July 2nd that goes well with this story; a joke about a pirate with a hook.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that was a very funny story. I'm just catching up with your blog and I have laughed many times.

I was with my friend Susan at her husband's race car shop when this old man showed up. He was telling Susan that he can no longer "perform." I had to walk away and squat down by Susan's husband because him and I were laughing so hard. She just stood there listening like she was really interested.