Monday, June 16, 2008

What a Weekend

For the first time in a LONG time, I was too busy to blog this weekend! Gasp! Luckily, things are back to normal and here I sit with my coffee and OSD anxious to tell you about my weekend.

Saturday my sister called and offered to baby-sit. She could hardly get the words out before I shouted, "Yes!" So she came over and Farm Guy and I headed off on our date. (Ooh, I can cross something off my summer to do list!) We went to a steak house in a town about 25 miles away. Food was awesome. Margaritas were even better. We even got to watch drunk Honda execs talk really loudly in Japanese. Tee hee.

Going on a date is such a rarity for us, we don't even know what to do with ourselves. Don't believe me? After dinner (we were done at 7:30) we stopped at Cracker Barrel to get my dad a gift card for Father's Day. We tried to take a nice country drive but nearly all roads were closed due to flood and/or tornado damage. So, once we got back to our town, we stopped to buy corn on the cob for Sunday. Then we rented Juno (which we didn't watch.) Then we went to CVS to pick up my all important pills while he read a diesel magazine. We were home at 9:00 p.m. Can you stand the excitement?

My sister was spending the night as we were celebrating Father's Day here. So I made her stay up to play Scrabble with me. We used all but 3 letters! (Oh, and I won my 3 points. Anyone who knows me knows that is pretty important. To win.)

Sunday morning, Farm Guy had to haul cattle so my sister and I took the kids out to breakfast. It was going great until I knocked my to-go coffee cup over and some of it hit Little Miss and burned her little belly. Not bad, but bad enough for some major screaming. Once we got in the car, it was nothing a piece of gum couldn't fix.

Then Grandma and Grandpa came to help Farm Guy set up the SWING SET they bought for us. (I'm spoiled. My kids are spoiled. Any questions?) The construction commenced (I am working towards that Genius reading level) at approximately 1:30 and ended at 7ish. The kids were so good waiting patiently until the slide was connected. They could.not.take.it.anymore. During the construction, my mom prepared an amazing supper of steaks, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, salad, and grilled sour dough bread. I think that made up for the hours my dad, husband, and sister spent putting the swing set together. There was only one injury. A metal endpiece of a board came down and struck my sister on the foot. It broke a blood vessel and was immediately swollen. She was a trooper though and kept helping the men. Thank goodness. She read the directions and basically told them what to do. You know how men can be with instructions. It turned out quite nicely, don't you think?


The kids got a little playtime on the swing set before going to bed later than their normal bedtime. I just KNEW they were going to sleep hard and long all night. Maybe even sleep in a little. Yeah. Right. Little Miss fussed around from 12:00-1:30 last night. I think she was over-stimulated and too tired. They played hard all day. At 6:30, I hear the Boy get out of bed and a minute later Little Miss is calling my name to get up. Sigh.

Now it's 8:15 and Little Miss is feeling the effects of a late bedtime and early morning.




And this is what is waiting for me in the kitchen.

I think I need at least one more cup of coffee before I can tackle that mess.
So, how was your weekend?

Pin It!

14 comments:

Becky said...

I see the paci is still with y'all...looks like you're gonna have to go cold turkey. Make her gather all the paci's and toss them in the trash. You might have a rough couple of days but she'll adjust. Just keep reminding her what a big girl she is now!

Rhea said...

Well, that was quite a weekend! You're so lucky you got a date! I'm jealous. Love the play by play of the date btw, the movie you didn't watch, picking up medicine, etc. So sounds like me. lol

Awesome swingset for the kiddos! And what a great family to put it together (and your mom to cook a fabulous dinner). I love family group projects...and of course, someone has to get injurred, so thank your sister for taking one for the team! lol Great weekend wrap up!

My weekend was calm and peaceful. Lots of family time. Today the chaos begins though...out of town guest coming unexpectedly for SIX DAYS, one child has a root canal, other child starts bible camp, even though we don't go to church...

Sheri said...

Sounds like the best kind of weekend . . . busy with lots of family time!

I spent Fri night working and being frustrated at the drag strip. Saturday I spent 5 hours helping the Ruritans spread mulch, took the mutt to the river, then rained out of the dirt track.

Sunday I spent being so burned and sore I could barely move! No good deed and all that, right?

scargosun said...

I agree little more coffee. As much as I hate cleaning up the next day, sometimes I really can't do it the night of the event. I totally understand.

Insane Mama said...

Scrabble? I LOVE SCRABBLE and consistantly score in the 300 range, I'm not bragging or anything but I think I am prety good, OK, fine, I'm bragging, just a little

Finding Normal said...

Hmm, how's Thursday for a playdate? LOL
We're the same on our rare dates. Like monkeys let out of the zoo, with no idea what to do, say, or how to act. It's so bizarre.
YAY for winning Scrabble. Boo to Susie's foot. Although with her cushy job surfing the internet, at least she'll recover quickly.

The Mom Jen said...

I'm exhausted reading that!! Our weekend was wild too with dance recitals and father's day! Wouldn't change a dang thing! ;) Here's to a great week and maybe a "kitchen fairy" to come help you!

katylinvw said...

sounds like you guys had fun! that swing set looks like a ball!

our weekend was good - father's day with my in-laws and good garage saling on saturday :) can't complain

Heather said...

It's like a kiddie hangover. It happens in our house all the time.

KimmyJ said...

No one in my family will play scrabble with me anymore because I'm so GOOD at it! Spoil sports.

Teri said...

What a fun Father's Day you all had. And to have all that help, pretty cool.
My husband and I went on a date Friday night. The two teenagers left at home (for a max of 2 hours!) called twice to tattle on each other and get themselves grounded. Sweet. I can't remember the last time I was called while on a date, even when these kids were little. Geez.

Deanna said...

Awesome swing set! We'll take whatever we can get for date night around here!

Anonymous said...

I just got tired reading about that weekend!

Oh, to have a date night, off to daydream about it.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

We had a great weekend...flying to Texas...and just hanging out. Right now it's Texas siesta time...so I can sneak in a little blogging without being completely anti-social :-)

Love the new Swing Set...and especially all that help you had putting it together. Should be great for the kiddos...

Has your computer come out of the sick bay yet? Or is it still OSD?